The Police Act 1997 established the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) to give employers and voluntary organisations access to criminal record information. The Bureau changed its name to the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) in December 2012. This executive agency of the Home Office will provide documents called Disclosures that contain information held by police and government departments that can be used to make safer recruitment decisions.
NEREO is a Registered Body in accordance with paragraph 120 of the Police Act 1997. It is our aim to provide a cost effective and efficient service to organisations requiring DBS Disclosure for employees.
NEREO is committed to submitting online Disclosure information within two working days.
NEREO process your DBS checks quickly and cost effectively via our online DBS system. Using our secure online environment NEREO provides a speedy, economical and high quality service based on absolute accuracy and efficiency that will enhance your safeguarding process.
New customers to NEREO Online DBS Service are finding it extremely useful.
“I’m really impressed with the ease of use and response time of the service. Significant savings have been made in terms of time it previously took to process, reduction in paper, managing and monitoring electronically, user friendly reports and cost of covering the vacant post whilst waiting for paper system. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this service to other organisations” – Middlesbrough College
“I wish I had done this the minute it came in. It is a fabulous system. I HIGHLY recommend it“ – Excelsior Academy
“I think the online system is easy to use, excellent. Also to receive the information via email to say that someone is OK is great. I haven’t found anything difficult or wrong with the system up to now“ – Seven Stories
“It is so easy to use and the results come back really quickly and we only need to see those with a trace. It has enabled us to review our business processes” – Sunderland City Council
- More than 70% will be returned within five days and the accuracy rating is over 99 percent.
- Online processing reduces overall processing time by 15-20 days
- No Postage
- Reduced Stationery Costs
- Only £12 admin fee per check + DBS fee
- Pay as you go per DBS check
- No monthly fee
- No system costs as accessed through the internet
- No minimum usage
- Discounted rates available for high volumes
Reasons for using the DBS disclosure service
- If an organisation has a duty of care to protect children or vulnerable adults from harm
- If an organisation is contractually obliged to supply staff who have undergone the necessary recruitment checks to work with children in a regulated position (definition of a regulated position and childcare can be found in the guidance notes for the Criminal Justice and Court Services Act – details available on https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/disclosure-and-barring-service
- If your organisation is a regulated childcare organisation;
- If you recruit persons into positions as specified in the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order
- If you need to strengthen your market position by providing an extra level of service to your customers and demonstrate your commitment and responsibility to child protection
NEREO now also offers external “Route 2” verification checks as part of its online DBS service
Where required, external ID checks cost £7
Eligibility – Eligibility Guidance for DBS checks can be found on the GOV.UK website here – https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/dbs-eligibility-guidance
For further information please email: DBSSupport@nereo.gov.uk